Saturday, 23 November 2013

Granny Stripe Pram Blanket

Today I should be in Harrogate at the Knitting and Stitching Show but alas after lost of thinking about it the last couple of days I decided with just over three weeks till due date it wasn't the best of ideas.  It is so busy there and with a pram as well, last year I spent most of the day waiting for people to let me through spaces so I thought I'd give it a miss this year.  Hopefully next year I will be able to go.  So after shopping and library crafts with Little L this morning I finally got round to finishing off this little blanket when she had her sleep.  

I worked in granny stripes and used a 5mm hook and James C Brett Aran with wool in cream and red (to match the new pram and they are unisex colours too).  I made the border up and probably should have done less stitches down the sides because the pattern is a bit bunched up.  I did block it but no amount of stretching could smooth those scallops.  

I stitched the ends in  at the end and yes there were lots of them.  I could have worked over them as I went which I did a few but half were the wrong colour to work in as you go so they had to be sewn in at the end.  The blanket is big enough for in the pram folded in half or for the car seat, or neither if I have a sicky baby!  

Thursday, 7 November 2013

New pram liners

I have been on a roll lately getting things done off the "Things to do before baby arrives" list and one such job was to make covers/liners for the new pram seats.  They are red and whilst the new baby will be in a carry cot or a footmuff for all of winter Little L certainly won't be in a footmuff.  In fact I do well to make her tolerate a blanket over her legs.  So I thought to avoid endless washing of the red padded seat liner I would make simple covers that can be washed and dried easily.

So months ago I bought a cheap red fleece blanket from Ikea (these blankets work out cheaper than buying fleece by the metre and the quality is fine too).  I washed it and it sat and lingered on my to do list for a couple of months at least until yesterday.  

When Little L had her sleep after lunch I got the sewing machine out, cleared the table and started cutting.  I simply cut the shape of the liner and then an extra section to form a flap on the back.  Hemmed it all (by the way I hate sewing with fleece even though I do have a walking foot for my machine my results are never great) and then set to marking out the holes (like large buttonholes) that would need stitching and cutting to allow for the seat harness to pass through.  This is quite fiddly and if you look closely some aren't straight but they will be fine. 
 I added a bit a ribbon to tie securely at the bottom and done.   
Plus I have half a blanket left which will be enough for a baby or toddler blanket.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...